"Raising Boys"

>> Tuesday, July 03, 2012

My sons are developing so fast. I recommend reading the book "Raising Boys" which has helped me so much and books on moving from one to more children. Very useful info from professionals and their samples of parents who have a wealth of experience.

In "Raising Boys" a significant chapter in the book spoke about a mother's job is to build and put courage into, until one day their relationship with you must be "put to death" for them to be free to healthy independence as men. So deep. The fact that in order for them to be well adjusted men they will need to sever the ties they experienced with the most significant people in their lives, which is opposite to raising healthy girls who need to be close and imitate you for successful adulthood. (So I am told).

These are the times that I am treasuring and enjoying, because I know I will never get them back. I can see a great friendship being built for an open communication and affection with my to be men. I have been taking tons of pictures and videos. The other day both boys were playing Minecraft, the new video game craze for viral building and viral outside survival. I overheard my oldest say, "I am awesome. I am awesome right?" His younger brother replied, "Yes you are. Am I awesome?" His older brother stated, "You are totally awesome." In the other room, couldn't stop giggling.


I have captured videos knowingly and in secret, of them swimming, chatting with friends about knowing someone in class who actually kissed a girl, dancing around the house, attempting to make a Minecraft video training, playing Ga Ga in a wooden arena with teams, outdoor BBQ with other children in church, their silly ways with 2 year old cousin, our family  trip to Florida, baby birds rescued from the bushes, my cell phone wall paper of them in front of the White House, Strings concert where oldest played the violin and their Moving Up ceremony to the next grade level.



They say when they get older they will not forget me. Giving their paychecks to me, buying me a house and stating, "When I am rich I am going to get you...." They are sweethearts but I'll just enjoy the gifts they are giving me now.

4 comments:

Anonymous July 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM  

I am totally in agreement with you ,"wise one".Enjoy the gifts the boys are giving you now.If I might add "The boys ate awesome".keep up the good work mom of the year. Love to the family and God's. Blessings.

Anonymous July 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM  

Correction"The boys are awesome "

The Adviser July 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM  

Such kind words. Thank you. Blessings to you as well : )

Anonymous July 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM  

How sweet...I love your blog and will happily follow you.
I have one son and one daughter...and I love them both dearly. I enjoy then now because I know that they will eventually need to leave the nest.



Great post. Thanks for finding me.
Hope you'll stop by again.

Ciao Bella
Creative Carmelina